Marginal Costs are different when constraints are set using x.lo and x.up

Solver related questions
bcdcav
User
User

Marginal Costs are different when constraints are set using x.lo and x.up

Post by bcdcav »

While minimizing a cost function with constraints specified as equations, I get 0 for all marginal values, but if I use x.lo and x.up (x is a variable) then I get a bunch of different marginal values. In both scenarios, optimized value stays the same and constraints are followed. Why is there a difference between marginal values? I attached the gams file which will return 0 for all marginal costs of x, but if you add the following 2 lines the marginal costs change completely.

Code: Select all

x.lo(i,dl)=MinGen(i);
x.up(i,dl)= MaxGen(i);
ED.gms
(2.25 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
dirkse

Re: Marginal Costs are different when constraints are set using x.lo and x.up

Post by dirkse »

Why would you expect marginal costs to be unchanged?

If you add, remove, or alter constraints and bounds you can expect a change in level and/or marginal values.

-Steve
bcdcav
User
User

Re: Marginal Costs are different when constraints are set using x.lo and x.up

Post by bcdcav »

I totally understand that, but there is no change in constraints as I already have constraint equations on x. The difference occurs when I explicitly state x's bounds via x.lo and x.hi instead of using x(i,dl) =L= MaxGen(i) and x(i,dl) =G= MinGen(i,dl). However, the same marginal costs are displayed in tables for MinGen and MaxGen, so I believe this is more of a syntax problem rather than something about the solver.
dirkse wrote: 2 years ago Why would you expect marginal costs to be unchanged?

If you add, remove, or alter constraints and bounds you can expect a change in level and/or marginal values.

-Steve