montanhe
User
User

Problem with the Model status with Antigone solver

Post by montanhe »

The computational optimization group of the University of Vienna
is currently working on a comparison of global solvers for nonlinear
programming (without integer variables), a kind of second edition of
the comparison we did 10 years ago in Math. Programming B 103 (2005), 335-356.

While we are doing some experiments we found a conflict between Antigone termination
status and the Model status reported by GAMS in the file attached. Could you please take a
look on it? Note that Antigone Termination status claims that the solution is global while
the Model status claims that it is local.

Kind regards,
Tiago
Renger

Re: Problem with the Model status with Antigone solver

Post by Renger »

Hi Tiago
Unfortunately, the new forum was not yet ready to allow attachments. Please add your attachment once again.
Sorry
Renger
User

Post by montanhe »

Dear Renger,

Please find attached the files again.

PS: I also noticed the same type of problem when running BARON. In some problems(as in the attached one) Baron returns
a normal completion status which, according to their documentation should be interpreted as the global solution, while GAMS
claims that the solution is only local. I'm not sure about other solvers.
Attachments
alkyl.txt
(17.92 KiB) Downloaded 362 times
alkyl.gms
(1.91 KiB) Downloaded 349 times
Lutz
User
User

Post by Lutz »

Tiago,

This is probably because of the optimality criterion you are using. By default GAMS works with a relative termination tolerace of 10%. That means the solver stops, if the gap betwenn the solution found and the bound for the best solution is within 10%. It seems as if Antigone calls such a solution within the given tolerance a "global optimal" solution, while GAMS just calls a solution "global optimal" when the gap mentioned before is 0. You can force the solver not to stop before that gap is completely closed by setting the option optCR to 0 (see also http://www.gams.com/latest/docs/usergui ... #GAMSOptCR).

I hope that helps,
Lutz
montanhe
User
User

Post by montanhe »

Hi Lutz,

Thank you for your message. I changed optcr to 0 and the response is the same
(Termination status from antigone is Global minimum while Gams Model status is locally optimal).

Could you please tell me how Gams assigns the model status of a problem? Is it taken directly
from the termination status of the solver or is there any verification in the post-processing?

PS: I noticed that Baron and lindoglobal present the same problem in the alkyl problem.

Kind regards,
Tiago
cladelpino
User
User

Post by cladelpino »

As I understand, there is no other possible model status for GAMS after a succesful solve for an NLP that a local optimum.

The GAMS manual explicitly mentions this in http://www.gams.com/latest/docs/usergui ... odstat.htm

I'm not a global optimization expert, so the real question for me is what kind of certificate do the solvers you mention provide to say it's a global optimum. If it is certainly valid for the given model, then perhaps GAMS could accomodate an option in modelstat for this. As it is, it shouldn't cause any large trouble anyway.
Lutz
User
User

Post by Lutz »

Actually, with a global solver you also can get a golbal optimal solution. And if I use Antigone with optcr=0 with the recent GAMS system (24.8.3. Windows 32bit) on my machine I also get that:

Code: Select all

S O L V E      S U M M A R Y

MODEL   m                   OBJECTIVE  obj
     TYPE    NLP                 DIRECTION  MINIMIZE
     SOLVER  ANTIGONE            FROM LINE  76

**** SOLVER STATUS     1 Normal Completion         
**** MODEL STATUS      1 Optimal                   
**** OBJECTIVE VALUE               -1.7650
With Baron I get the same. And I also get this with Lindo (but there I have to use a solver option file to force the 0 gap).

Did you use the same GAMS version as I did? Also, I noted that you have "m.optfile = 1;" in the model, but did not attach an option file. Which option(s) did you set there?

Best,
Lutz
cladelpino
User
User

Post by cladelpino »

Good to know. Thanks!
Lutz
User
User

Post by Lutz »

cladelpino wrote:As I understand, there is no other possible model status for GAMS after a succesful solve for an NLP that a local optimum.

The GAMS manual explicitly mentions this in http://www.gams.com/latest/docs/usergui ... odstat.htm
BTW: Thanks for mentioning this! This is probably a note from older days, before there was much around for global optimization, but nowadays this it outdated. We will update the documentation.

Lutz
montanhe
User
User

Post by montanhe »

Dear all,

Thank you all for your kind help. I found the problem and it is not related to the relative optimality criterion
but with the absolute one. During the tests I'm running optca = 1e-6 instead of 0 (which is the default in
GAMS). I realized this difference after the last Lutz's comment. Setting up optca = optcr = 0 in my GAMS
24.8.2 version makes everything works fine.

kind regards,
Tiago