variable ensuring two index are different

Problems with syntax of GAMS
lixlz51
User
User

variable ensuring two index are different

Post by lixlz51 »

Hi Guys,

I am trying to develop a model with one of the decision variable being the following:

W(i,j): store i is the closest alternative store for region j;

i assume that each customer region has a local store and want to study the customer shopping behavior when their local store is closed - e.g. will they travel to the nearest store in another region?

This variable is only meaningful for the model when i is not equal to j. So how should I reflect that in GAMS? Should I put down W(i,j) $(ord(i) ne ord(j)) every single time I use the variable w(i,j) or is there another way to define this once and for all?

Thank you very much indeed for the help.
bussieck

Re: variable ensuring two index are different

Post by bussieck »

Dynamic subsets are the solution. Make a set ij(i,j) and put the possible combination in there. Then whenever you need to restrict the ij combination (e.g. in equation algebra) use ij(i,j) (e.g. sum(ij(i,j), W(i,j))). You need to exclude the region local store from ij but you also might remove the stores that are too far away (use some heuristic) to limit the number of variables:

Code: Select all

ij(i,j) = yes;
ij(i,j)$(ord(i)=ord(j)) = no;
ij(i,j)$(dist(i,j)>1000) = no;
-Michael
lixlz51
User
User

Re: variable ensuring two index are different

Post by lixlz51 »

Hi Michael,

You are absolutely a star! I actually need the maximum travel distance for the model as well and your answers are really helpful. Thank you a million and hope you have a wonderful week.

Best regards,
Lina