Are there external text editor for GAMS? Topic is solved

questions about GAMS' tools
leewing159
User
User

Are there external text editor for GAMS?

Post by leewing159 »

Hi,
I think GAMS Studio which is way better than GAMS IDE has some missing features.
For example, other text editors provide highlight, text automation for variables, parameters, and so on.

Are there external text editor for GAMS?
Hope there is a text editor that I can build my gms file on the editor.

Jake.
Lutz
User
User

Re: Are there external text editor for GAMS?

Post by Lutz »

Hi Jake,

I do not have other text editors to suggest. I am actually pretty happy with GAMS Studio, but I am biased... ;)

You raised good points for features missing in Studio. It actually has some auto-complete feature, but just for predefined keywords, dollar control options and the like:
grafik.png
grafik.png (15.66 KiB) Viewed 12795 times
Offering the same for user defined symbols is on our list, but it will take a while before it is there.

You mentioned, that other editors "provide highlight". I did not understand that. Could you say, what you mean by this?

Best regards,
Lutz
leewing159
User
User

Post by leewing159 »

Yes, I do really enjoy many features in Studio, including black theme that is recently added.
Wayyyyy better than IDE!

By the way, can you please elaborate how to use auto-complete feature for pre-defined keywords?
When I write "option s" there is no suggestion like the capture you uploaded.

For highlight option, I know there are some highlight keywords such as ord, sum, etc.
I just wanna know if it is possible for highlighing some basic mathematical functions such as floor, mod, and etc.

Best,
Jake
Last edited by leewing159 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Lutz
User
User

Post by Lutz »

leewing159 wrote: 2 years ago Yes, I do really enjoy many features in Studio, including black theme that is recently added.
Wayyyyy better than IDE!
Thanks! :)
leewing159 wrote: 2 years ago By the way, can you please elaborate how to use auto-complete feature for pre-defined keywords?
When I write "option s" there is no suggestion like the capture you uploaded.
By default (i.e., if "Auto open completer" is not deactivated in the Settings on the "Editor & Log" Tab), it opens after three characters are typed and there is something to complete. But you can force it to open at any time by pressing `Ctrl + Space`. I did that for the screenshot.
leewing159 wrote: 2 years ago For highlight option, I know there are sum highlight keywords such as ord, sum, etc.
I just wanna know if it is possible for highlighing some basic mathematical functions such as floor, mod, and etc.
Got it! I will add this to our list of future enhancements.

Thanks for your feedback!
Lutz
Lutz
User
User

Post by Lutz »

leewing159 wrote: 2 years ago For highlight option, I know there are some highlight keywords such as ord, sum, etc.
Hi,

I just want to let you know, that this was added to Studio in the meantime.

Lutz
fahyk
User
User

Post by fahyk »

If you want to try something different, I use Visual Studio with the GAMS language extension. I didn't know GAMS Studio existed, so I'll have to check that one out.