More Studio Wishes

Rob Davies
User
User

More Studio Wishes

Post by Rob Davies »

A few suggestions for the future:

1. It is great that we can run .gms files with a GDX being automatically created. However, since the GDX has the same name as the gms, and since it is associated with GAMS, it is difficult to see which is which in File Explorer, unless one turns file extensions on. Is it possible to have it so it adds a suffix to the gdx? Say, 1model.gms giving 1model_results.gdx

2. Opening a file from Studio always opens a dialogue box with the file type on .gms. If one changes it to say .inc, it reverts to .gms next time one uses open file, even in the same session. That is irritating and, I suspect, unuseful since most projects will start by opening a gms file and thereafter want to open other types.

3. (I have raised this before) The mechanisms for adjusting displays (Table, number of decimals) in gdx in Studio are very irritating. The preferences need to be set each time one opens a variable or parameter. Can they not be set as a new default, at least for the current session?

4. Some points related to GDX in Studio compared to IDE:
a. In IDE exporting to Excel automatically opens a sheet if that name is referenced in the index but no such sheet already exists. In Studio it does not. One has to insert the name into index AND create and name the sheet. I find it more convenient to restart a results file in IDE and set up the Excel workbook from there. Once it is set up for project, I then revert to studio. This is inelegant.
b. The absence of charting in Studio is unfortunate. I suspect most users do not use the charting in IDE but exported to Excel or some other software and create charts there. But the IDE charting is nicer, once one knows how to use it. I generate a results gdx in Studio and then open it for charting and other things in IDE. (when I don't export list view to Excel and use pivots.

Best
Rob
Lutz
User
User

Re: More Studio Wishes

Post by Lutz »

Rob,

Thanks again for your feedback! On number 3 we actually made some progress. With the latest release candidate we introduced a new page in the settings dialog for the GDX Viewer. For now, it only allows to select if you want to see the list view or the table view by default, but more settings (e.g. the number format) will follow.

Best regards,
Lutz