Overall program run time/time limit Topic is solved

Problems with modeling
Ilya
User
User

Overall program run time/time limit

Post by Ilya »

I'm implementing sequential solver calls in a benders loop.
It is possible to set the reslim option to limit the solution time of a single solver call.
It is also possible to measure the overall loop time by accumulating the solver time returned in resUsd using a scalar parameter.

Things become more complicated for me if the same setup is implemented using a Python ModelInstance (to avoid repeated model generation in the benders loop).
I simply don't know what will be the ModelInstance property that would return the used time after a call to the solve() method (the Python docs are not so easy to read).

I also wonder if there is an option to set a global time limit for the whole model (not just for a solver call).
bussieck

Re: Overall program run time/time limit

Post by bussieck »

1) You can do time accounting independent of the resUsd (which relies in some way on the fact that the solver returns the correct time). Just do time stamps in GAMS:

Code: Select all

scalar now, accTime 'in seconds' /0/;
now = jnow;
solve mymodel us ...;
accTime = accTime + (jnow-now)*60*60*24;
abort.noerror$(accTime>1000) 'stop after 1000 secs', accTime;
If you do now a solve or a modelinstance solve the time accounting is independent of this.

2) The resLim for the solve method of a GAMSModelInstance is determined when you generate the model instance (instantiate). It cannot be updated (only through a solver option file and the specific option, e.g. tilim in Cplex).

3) There is no option to stop a GAMS run after a given time limit.

-Michael