How to formulate that once binary variable equals 1 then other one equals zero forever?

Problems with modeling
dunyayigezerken
User
User

How to formulate that once binary variable equals 1 then other one equals zero forever?

Post by dunyayigezerken »

I need to choose objective function under some circumstances.

Code: Select all

obj_select = obj1*var1 + obj2*var2
obj.. z =e= obj_select
I need to decide var1 and var2 binary variable values. Conditions;

When var1 = 1 for a condition then var2 =0 no matter it became 1 before, the model just select the obj1 to optimize
When var2 = 1 for a condition then var1 =0 no matter it became 1 before, the model just select the obj1 to optimize

to sum up, I need to choose one objective according to the some conditions in the dataset.

Is there any idea?
abhosekar

Re: How to formulate that once binary variable equals 1 then other one equals zero forever?

Post by abhosekar »

if var1 and var2 are binary, you can do this by using the constraint
var1 + var2=e= 1;

However, you would be introducing nonlinearities/nonconvexities in your problem by such a formulation that uses obj1*var1. If var1 depends 'only' on data, it would be advisable to calculate it beforehand and use it as a parameter instead.
Also, I don't understand what you mean by 'irrespective of it became 1 before'. Are you solving your problem multiple times? You won't have a value assigned to a variable until you solve it.
- Atharv
dunyayigezerken
User
User

Re: How to formulate that once binary variable equals 1 then other one equals zero forever?

Post by dunyayigezerken »

abhosekar wrote: 3 years ago if var1 and var2 are binary, you can do this by using the constraint
var1 + var2=e= 1;

However, you would be introducing nonlinearities/nonconvexities in your problem by such a formulation that uses obj1*var1. If var1 depends 'only' on data, it would be advisable to calculate it beforehand and use it as a parameter instead.
Also, I don't understand what you mean by 'irrespective of it became 1 before'. Are you solving your problem multiple times? You won't have a value assigned to a variable until you solve it.
- Atharv
Thanks for answer, actually, I want to code Particle Swarm Opt. in GAMS, so probably I have to run the code iteratively but I dont know that is it possible or not in GAMS? So, I try to be ready for diffculties such as nonlinearity etc.