How to model a nontrivial transmission network?

Problems with modeling
AussiePhysicist
User
User

How to model a nontrivial transmission network?

Post by AussiePhysicist »

I'm fairly new to GAMS but have ~10 years working with Matlab, Mathematica, Labview, Python and even a bit of Fortran in the deep dark past. I've taken a new position and need to simulate a nontrivial power transmission network.

I've made up a simple network model, just to make sure I understand how GAMS works, and it's shown me I need to consider more than nearest-neighbour coupling in the network. I've checked out the examples in the library, for example gasnet.gms, gastrans.gms, as well as some very advanced open energy models such as EMMA and DIETER. Right now those are light years beyond what I need.

Is there a simple approach that I'm missing that will allow me to make this basic model allow, say, power generated from node 1 (connected to nodes 2 and 4) to be sent past node 4 and onto node 5 ? I'm aware that this is not a physical approach and that I need to consider the sum of voltages around the network, the reactances of the lines and so on, but as a learning tool, is there a way to do this? Or any resources I can be pointed to?
SimpleNetworkTest.gms
(6.28 KiB) Downloaded 48 times