GAMS IDE (gpr) to Studio Projects

questions about GAMS' tools
GAMS_User_2355
User
User

GAMS IDE (gpr) to Studio Projects

Post by GAMS_User_2355 »

Hi all,

I am having a difficulty migrating projects to GAMS Studio from the old gpr structure of handling data exchange, etc.

Basic file system GAMS IDE / gpr:

File 1: Read in data from csv,xlsx,txt, gms file converts it to gdx
File 2: File manipulates data from gdx output, saved in project directory from file 1
File 3: gms file converts gdx data to csv, xlsx, txt, etc

Moving this to a project in Studio by dragging files to a new project results in File 1 working to the extent it can read in the data, but I can't follow data passes through the project through GDX. Am I having to specify the GDX flow much more explicitly in Studio?

Since all this was in the same folder, there was never an issue with data passing through each file within the GAMS IDE. I find the system in Studio much more convoluted and no clear explanations of how it works, which - as a side - is strange since GAMS is pushing GAMS Studio over IDE for a number of years now. I simply want to move an old GAMS project (gpr) to GAMS Studio, but it seems much less fluid than it initially appears (where you are told this is meant to facilitate bringing in modules from multiple projects seamlessly).

Is there any good guidance, with clear instructions? I don't mean running a single script, where all the data is inputted and processed in the same step of a project flow.
Lutz
User
User

Re: GAMS IDE (gpr) to Studio Projects

Post by Lutz »

Hi GAMS_User_2355,

I am sorry to read about the problems you have! There is a section about the differences between projects in the IDE and Studio in the GAMS documentation (see https://www.gams.com/latest/docs/T_STUD ... TUDIO_PROJ). Not sure, if you read that already, but as you can read there, the main difference is the concept of a main file per project.

If I got your description right, you just need to use 3 projects in Studio instead of 1 (they can be all open at the same time) and things should work as before in the IDE. If that does not help, please add some more details about the problems you get in Studio.

Best,
Lutz
GAMS_User_2355
User
User

Re: GAMS IDE (gpr) to Studio Projects

Post by GAMS_User_2355 »

Thanks for your quick response. I didn't find the link very useful, and lacks detail on key issues that arise from moving from GAMSIDE to Studio. For me, it was defining input/output gdx files across multiple elements of the same gpr project.

However, your advice worked Lutz and thanks so much for the quick response, one way to solve this problem would be have three separate projects for each gms file. You are correct, as this is because each project in GAMS Studio only has one command line, whereas each gms script in the old gpr project have a command line. I think the term "project" in Studio threw me!