Best practice for 2 modelers developing a GAMS model?

Problems with modeling
en2ec1
User
User

Best practice for 2 modelers developing a GAMS model?

Post by en2ec1 »

I have been developing a global energy model written in GAMS. I have had my model files on my Microsoft Onedrive so that they would be constantly backed up, but I have had to manually do version control, and it has always been cumbersome to do it, but workable since I was the only person working on the model. Now I have a colleague who will contribute to model development. We both work remotely, and our organization has recently migrated from Sharepoint to all files located in MS Teams (no idea why, but it is what it is). So by default, I would set up a model "team" and put the files there. That will give both of us access and will provide automatic back up, but it does not address version control at all.

I have looked into GIT, but it seems very much overkill for 2 people and isn't catered at all to GAMS. I've only ever done model development on my own, so I'm at a loss as to best practices for collaboration. But everything I find is geared toward a team of many coders writing software applications rather than 2 people doing GAMS model development. Any suggestions would be most welcome.
maty
User
User

Re: Best practice for 2 modelers developing a GAMS model?

Post by maty »

I think Git is an excellent choice for GAMS Code files, but you will have to exclude the larger output files GAMS produces (gdx, lst etc.)
GabrielYin
User
User

Post by GabrielYin »

GAMS syntax is very light-weighted so I am curious why you would need two people working on the GAMS modeling. But back to your question, if you think Git is too much, try SVN, though the latter one is far outdated for modern software development, but could be efficient as long as your team only has two members.
en2ec1
User
User

Post by en2ec1 »

GabrielYin wrote: 3 months ago GAMS syntax is very light-weighted so I am curious why you would need two people working on the GAMS modeling. But back to your question, if you think Git is too much, try SVN, though the latter one is far outdated for modern software development, but could be efficient as long as your team only has two members.
I developed the model we're using, and now I've hired someone to help me with it because I don't have time to dedicate to it -- the GAMS language may be light-weight, but the model is quite complex. We'll both be working on different aspects of the GAMS code, and I want to make sure that we have a system in place to prevent inadvertently replacing code that the other has changed and to be able to easily revert to a previous version if needed.