GAMS/CPLEX on Mac with M series CPU?

Problems with modeling
en2ec1
User
User

GAMS/CPLEX on Mac with M series CPU?

Post by en2ec1 »

I was wondering if anyone has experience using GAMS/CPLEX on a Mac with an M series CPU. I understand that GDXXRW won't work on a Mac. Are there any other issues like this? Sorry if this isn't the best place to ask -- I wasn't sure where it should go.

The reason I ask is that I have had quite bad luck with a Dell Precision 7780. There have been SSD issues. The motherboard died and had to be replaced. Now there is a problem with the thermal sensor. The time spent without a computer, troubleshooting issues, and with reinstalling and setting everything up multiple times would have more than paid for a new Macbook Pro with an M3 Max CPU, which should be roughtly comparable to my i9-13950HX.

The hope would be that Apple's build quality will be a lot better and result in a lot less down time. And my Dell lasts about 1:25 on battery with light loads. Running my model drops that to about 45 minutes on battery. It also weighs nearly 3.5 kg. All in all, the Dell is more like a desktop that you can move around if you really need to. It can't be used as a real laptop.

But I also don't want to trade one set of problems for another set. So I was hoping to get some insights from people who have worked on GAMS/CPLEX on both platforms.