Trouble installing Python GAMS API on Mac OS

Questions on using the GAMS APIs (Python, .NET, etc.)
stanny1058
User
User

Trouble installing Python GAMS API on Mac OS

Post by stanny1058 »

Hello,

I'm using GAMS version 34.3.0, Mac OS 12.6.5, and Python 3.9. I have tried to install GAMS API via pip (pip install gams) but keep getting a distribution error. I tried to use pip from python 3.8 as well but this error keeps happening. I checked the documentation for version 34.3.0 and it looks like it should work with python 3.8 and 3.9 and OS 12.6. Do you know what else could be the issue here? Thank you very much.

ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement gams (from versions: none)
ERROR: No matching distribution found for gams
Fred

Re: Trouble installing Python GAMS API on Mac OS

Post by Fred »

Hi,

With GAMS 34 the Python API was not installed via pip. Please make sure to use the documenttation that matches your GAMS version. The documentation of GAMS 34 can be found here.

I hope this helps!

Fred
stanny1058
User
User

Post by stanny1058 »

Fred wrote: 10 months ago Hi,

With GAMS 34 the Python API was not installed via pip. Please make sure to use the documenttation that matches your GAMS version. The documentation of GAMS 34 can be found here.

I hope this helps!

Fred
Hi Fred! Thank you! It was very helpful. I did try to follow the tutorial for GAMS 34 and it seemed to work. However, when I tried to run the transport1.py example, I got an error of

mach-o file, but is an incompatible architecture (have (x86_64), need (arm64e)

Do you have an idea what the issue is?

Here is my installation process (on Mac OS 12.6.5):

Code: Select all

export PYTHONPATH=/Library/Frameworks/GAMS.framework/Versions/34/Resources/apifiles/Python/api_39
export PYTHONPATH=/Library/Frameworks/GAMS.framework/Versions/34/Resources/apifiles/Python/gams:$PYTHONPATH
cd /Library/Frameworks/GAMS.framework/Versions/34/Resources/apifiles/Python/api_39
python3.9 setup.py install
The full error is:

Code: Select all

ImportError: dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/GAMS.framework/Versions/34/Resources/apifiles/Python/api_39/_gdxcc.so, 0x0002): tried: '/Applications/FICO Xpress/Xpress Workbench.app/Contents/Resources/xpressmp/lib/_gdxcc.so' (no such file), '/_gdxcc.so' (no such file), '/Library/Frameworks/GAMS.framework/Versions/34/Resources/apifiles/Python/api_39/_gdxcc.so' (mach-o file, but is an incompatible architecture (have (x86_64), need (arm64e)))
Last edited by stanny1058 10 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
bussieck

Post by bussieck »

You have a Mac with an M1 or M2 chip but the GAMS 34 distribution is Intel only. So you would need an Intel Python running under Rosetta 2 on you machine. The native M1/M2 port for GAMS was introduced with GAMS 43 (see https://www.gams.com/latest/docs/RN_43. ... _PLATFORMS). So many good reasons to update to GAMS 43!

-Michael
stanny1058
User
User

Post by stanny1058 »

bussieck wrote: 10 months ago You have a Mac with an M1 or M2 chip but the GAMS 34 distribution is Intel only. So you would need an Intel Python running under Rosetta 2 on you machine. The native M1/M2 port for GAMS was introduced with GAMS 43 (see https://www.gams.com/latest/docs/RN_43. ... _PLATFORMS). So many good reasons to update to GAMS 43!

-Michael
Thank you for you answer, Michael! My organization does not use the later versions of GAMS unfortunately so I'm stuck with version 34 until getting permission to upgrade. So in this case, it looks like I need to create an X86 version of python by installing Rosetta?
bussieck

Post by bussieck »

Yes. -Michael